up71.me (uptime) - An experimental project using React, TypeScript, UX, AWS, and SEO

I recently created a learning project up71.me which is uptime in LEET encoded speak.  It is a purposefully basic SLA calculation utility with a focus on quality web design.  In large enterprises creating and managing a public site soup to nuts is not possible.  While an SLA calculator is a bit small and trivial it does offer a good simple use case to tinker with.

Screenshot of website
Screenshot of website

Why did I pick an SLA calculator for my pet project?  The motivation came out of annoyance.  The top-ranking Google results for SLA calculators/uptime are minimally functional and lack the polish, usability, and performance that can be easily created with a modern set of development tools.  Many things could be improved upon looking at existing SLA pages: faster load time, mobile-optimized, cursor defaults to input element, examples, description, accessibility, multi-lingual, client-side only processing.  Beyond this, I had never tried to beat out an existing set of websites by improving search engine optimization, google page rank, refers, etc.  So I set to work and launched the site using some technologies I wanted to keep using including React.js, create-react-app, Typescript, react-bootstrap and AWS.

The site has been live for months now and I continue to tinker and put knowledge into practice.  Almost immediately up71.me was more usable, faster, mobile-friendly, and cleaner than the popular SLA calculator search results.  My other 'goal' of being a top-ranked website for SLA calculation has not been achieved yet.  I have not really expended the effort required.  It is something I do intend to continue to chip away at.

Check out the site and source code: (https://up71.me and https://github.com/TedMN/up71.me)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Configuring Javascript SyntaxHighligher 3+ in a Blogger site

Reference Cards, Cheat Sheets, Posters, whatever they are called.

The Technology Architect Organization Quiz - 7 questions to ask before taking the job